Tell a story about a good experience you’ve had with writing—a moment when you felt you accomplished something, or when you had some fun. Make your story as engaging as you can. Don’t just summarize. Show what happened. Set the scene, describe the people involved, show how events unfolded. I’ll ask you to read this piece aloud to introduce yourself to the class.
The Goals of This Course
- To help you develop a personal voice as a writer
- To give you a sense of how professional writers go about their work
- Wed, 2/08, class: Read Bird by Bird, pages xi–27. Be ready to take us to a particular moment in the text you’d like to talk about. Please also read through the course materials posted to this site. I’ll ask if you have any questions about them.
- Fri, 2/10: No class!
- Mon, 2/13: Read the essays in Franzen by Cantú, Chee, Crenshaw, Díaz, and Dumitrescu. As you do, think of moments from your own life that you might write about in your X1.
- Tues, 2/14: Post X1 to your Google Drive folder. Please save your writing as a Microsoft Word document, and title it “Lastname X1”.